Tuesday, March 1, 2011

dotty finishes her thirty (!)

ballet tights pink joie dress silk clay belted cardigan jcrew
[wearing]
best dress ever: joie, gift from best boyfriend ever (similar)
cardigan: j. crew
pretzeled belt: gap (similar)
necklace: what happens in vegas stays in vegas, so i can't tell you where it's from.  mostly because i don't remember, not because it's a secret. (similar)
ballet pink tights: capezio, from when i took a dance class in vegas (similar)
boots: ebayed brazilian riding boots (similar)
ballet tights pink joie dress silk clay belted cardigan jcrew thirty challenge dotty style blog

[going]
thesis-ing.  wearing all my favorites.  i only ended up wearing twenty-seven pieces, so i went crazy and wore different boots on my last day of the thirty for thirty challenge.  oh, so to sum up the challenge:
  • it's winter and i'm always cold.  that means that every outfit involves a lot of pieces.  it's never just a dress and shoes.  (and if it appears that way, it means i'm wearing an entire suit of uniqlo heattech.)  this means that every piece gets layered and worn a lot more. 
  • there is always snow, so i should've included more pairs of taller boots.  there were a few times i scaled snow drifts in short boots and escaped without snowy socks only because of my years of preparation and training in cold climates.  
  • including a lesser worn item in my thirty can either push me to wear it more (my red wool skirt) or just taunt me for a month (my unworn pink tunic).
  • i don't actually shop that much.  i go weeks at a time without buying anything.  now that the ban has been lifted, my first thought was to work on my professional wardrobe since i am graduating in exactly two months.  but seriously, last time i subscribed to the idea of solid color dress shirts and polyester pants, i looked terrible and it was super boring.  the plan this time around is to start with my style and make minor adjustments to meet any requirements, rather than wholeheartedly subscribe to corporate business casual norms.  with that said, i am buying things that i like right now, not what i think will be appropriate in the future. 

ballet tights pink joie dress silk clay belted cardigan jcrew

38 comments:

  1. Congrats! I had to wear lots of layers, too. It's interesting how different our challenge was than some of the participants from the south of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hooray for finishing the 27 for 30!
    I love that dress (as you well know) and I think you wouldn't have too much of a problem transitioning your current clothes into office wear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES!!!!! hooray for finishing!!!! you did great...and im happy i found you because of the 30x30 :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats in finishing the challenge. I found you on the 30x30 list, and that is a great dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yippeee! Congratulations on wrapping this bad boy up. I just love the color of that dress (I'm pretty sure that I've said that before).
    Hope your shopping expedition is a wild and crazy, but still work appropriate, success.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Few people can pull of white tights and you are one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. CONGRATS! Well it depends where/what industry you'll be working in but what you are wearing right now could work for a lot of offices. :D

    Lidi @ Eclectic Flair

    ReplyDelete
  8. CONGRATS on the challenge and the future graduation! Have fun shopping!!

    ps. That jacket would be a great office piece!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay, you're done! Congrats. I'm jealous--I still have 10 looks to go. But I know what you mean about layering because of the cold--everything gets worn a lot more. I did NOT think about that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks! i don't wear super light colored tights very often.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i know! i'm so jealous when i see photos of outfits that don't involve tights and scarves and multiple sweaters!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the color of the dress, especially with that necklace and cardigan!

    And I think there is a way to dress business appropriate while still throwing a little of your own style into the mix. And there are a ton of 'corporate attire' blogs out there that you could look to for inspiration, if you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on finishing the 30 for 30! I see how doing the 30 or 30 in the winter is more challenging because of the necessity of layering, but I think all your outfit choices were great!

    Congrats on your graduation! Buying what you love is always the best policy in my book because that is what you'll actually enjoy wearing. It is totally possible to maintain your personal style in a work environment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations for completing the 30 for 30. I still have 2 more outfits. BTW, I love love LOVE your dress! Your outfit is a perfect way to end the challenge. Don't change too much in order to make your wardrobe more "professional". I'm loving your looks.

    Complex Cardigans

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! Congratulations on finishing the 30 for 30! You looked fabulous throughout, and I think it's perfect that you can now apply your experience to your future professional wardrobe.
    I got the neck warmer/infinity scarf yesterday. Thank you! I love it and it is the perfect length and my favorite shade of orange (I actually have a hat in that same shade which my mom made for me last year).

    ReplyDelete
  16. you were born to wear this color. and probably lots of other colors, too, but i'm particularly struck by this one. congrats on finishing! and i think you're exactly right in your non-conforming to business-suits-only or whatever. your style can totally go into the business corporate world with, like you said, minor tweaks as the need arises.
    this is a beautiful ensemble.
    -brittney
    http://adayinlifetoo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on finishing - and being two months away from graduating! So exciting. :)

    This dress is the perfect dress for you - the color and fit are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The color of that dress is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love this color!!

    thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yeah, that cardigan.. holy crap, amazing. The ruffle collar is brillz.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay, congrats! I love the final outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  22. one of my friends calls me "granny chic" every time i wear this cardigan...must be the ruffle!

    ReplyDelete
  23. yay! i'm so glad it arrived! it kept snowing when i wanted to take it to the post office, so it was a bit more delayed than i wanted it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  24. good luck! you're so close! just think about how much the rest of your closet misses you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. thanks! your style is definitely one that i think is professional, but not boring or plain, so it's totally what i'm going for!

    ReplyDelete
  26. thanks! and yeah, i read a few blogs about dressing professionally and i think they will turn out to be really helpful as i re-enter the world of grown-ups!

    ReplyDelete
  27. you did it!! love your lessons learned.

    good luck in your last two months!

    ReplyDelete
  28. but you went to hawaii! a tropical thirty challenge sounds really nice right about now!

    ReplyDelete
  29. thanks!

    and yeah, i used to wear it to work all the time to layer over sleeveless things.

    ReplyDelete
  30. LOVE LOVE LOVE this outfit!! Your boyfriend picked out a phenomenal dress!! great color on you

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a beautiful outfit to end on! So pretty! And the no shopping wasn't hard for me either. I rarely shop, but it did make me realize there are things I could give away because I don't like them as much as I thought! And now I know I can live with less clothes. Cheers to that! Good luck on your remixes. So pretty. xo

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love thsat dress...such a great color
    Congrats on finishing the 30x 30...I never realized how much I layer in the winter either before the 30 x 30

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am in love with the color of this dress! It's so so pretty! I like your necklace too, reminds me of paillettes :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. why thank you! i totally heart paillettes!

    ReplyDelete
  35. love this! it's so elegant! esp with your hair!
    lots of love, ayan

    ReplyDelete